- Prep time
- 15 minutes
- Cooking time
- 12 minutes
- Serves 8
- Delicious homemade recipe shortcake with our award-winning strawberry jam. Tasty mini bites with a refreshing cream filling.
- 350g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g butter, cold, cubed 100g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped 100ml milk, warmed
- 1 egg, plus a little extra beaten egg for glazing
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 1tbsp icing sugar
- 8tsp Clotted Cream
- 250g strawberries, thickly sliced
- 8tsp Original Strawberry Whole Fruit Jam
Heat oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Lightly dust a baking sheet with flour. Add the flour, butter, sugar, half of the vanilla seeds and ¼tsp salt into a large bowl and rub until well mixed. Beat the milk, egg and a squeeze of lemon together, then tip into the bowl and bring together until you have a thick dough.
Flour the work surface, tip the dough onto it, and then quickly shape into a disc. Pat out with a rolling pin to roughly 2cm thick. Cut out 8 rounds with a small cutter. Glaze the tops with beaten egg and move across to the floured baking sheet, then bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Cool on a rack.
Stir in the remaining vanilla seeds and icing sugar into the Clotted Cream. Spoon over about 1tsp Original Strawberry Whole Fruit Jam and 1tsp Clotted Cream, finish with chopped strawberries.