Ever had that burning sensation to learn more about this popular sauce? Sriracha is a long standing staple ingredient when it comes to spicy sauces, so read on to spice up your life!
What is sriracha?
Sriracha is a type of hot sauce or chilli sauce made from a paste of chilli peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt.
Sriracha gets its heat from red jalapeños peppers. Surprisingly, the sauce is only moderately spicy. On the Scoville scale, developed to measure the level of heat in chillies, sriracha measures 2,200. By contrast, Tabasco sauce clocks in at 3,750 and cayenne pepper at a startling 50,000!
The history of sriracha sauce
The original Sriracha is actually from Thailand and comes from the seaside city of Si Racha. It is pronounced suh·raa·chuh.
What is sriracha made of?
The main ingredients of Sriracha sauce are, chillies, sugar, salt, garlic and distilled vinegar. It gets its heat from red jalapeño. The taste varies by brand, but generally it’s tangy-sweet with a kick of garlic with mild to hot spice levels.
How spicy is sriracha?
Sriracha brands will vary in their intensity, but as hot sauces go, sriracha is considered to be on the mild side. Depending on the crop of peppers used, sriracha can range from 1,000 to 2,500 Scoville units. To put that into perspective, Tabasco sauce runs anywhere between 2,500 and 5,000.
How to use sriracha
Sriracha Sauce has many different uses and can excite meal times with its mild heat level.
Liven up your favourite dips, add bang to your burger, swirl into soups or create a wicked wing marinade sauce. Use as a pour over sauce with chicken, steak and prawns. Add to existing condiments such as ketchup or mayo for a spicy hit.
How to make sriracha mayo
This homemade sriracha mayo recipe is creamy, spicy, and very easy to make. It’ll add the perfect zing to sandwiches, tacos, vegetables, and anything grilled. It’s easy to customise, too! Here is how to make it.
1 cup Mayo
3 tablespoons Sriracha Sauce
1 garlic clove, finely minced
Salt to taste
Juice from ½ a lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
This delicious sauce takes just a few minutes to create. Stir together mayo, sriracha sauce and minced garlic to create a pink colour. Squeeze in the lemon and add salt to your preference of taste.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep at least a month this way.
Common questions about sriracha
- Is sriracha the same as tabasco? Apart from being a lot less chilli, the flavour profile is almost the same, but keep in mind that sriracha sauce is different from tabasco or any other hot sauce. It is much thicker with a strong hint of garlic.
- What is the difference between hot sauce and sriracha? Sriracha is the same as hot sauce. Hot sauce is a generic term, used to describe a wide range of sauces that combine chilli and other ingredients to give heat. While we all have our favourite hot sauces, there is no definitive ‘hot sauce’.
- What is a substitute for sriracha sauce? Chilli Garlic Sauce, and Tabasco are the most similar to sriracha sauce.
- Is sriracha vegan? Yes, our Sriracha Sauce is vegan
- Is sriracha gluten free? Yes, our Sriracha Sauce is suitable for a gluten free diet.
- Does sriracha need to be refrigerated? Just make sure bottles are stored in a cool, dry place. The reason you don’t have to refrigerate Sriracha is because its ingredients are pretty resistant to bacterial growth.
Our sriracha sauce
Our Sriracha Chilli & Garlic Sauce is a marvellous mash-up of chilli and garlic to create a medium heat hot sauce with a garlicky taste.
Liven up your favourite dips, add bang to your burger, swirl into soups or create a wicked wing marinade sauce. Use as a pour over sauce with chicken, steak and prawns.
- Suitable for Vegans
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Gluten Free
PRODUCTS USED IN THIS BLOG
Take a look at a selection of sauces
Other blogs you might like to read