- Prep time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 10 mins
- Serves 4
- Meat-Free Black Bean Pitta Burger recipe with black bean burgers served in pitta pockets with delicious salad and burger sauce.
- 1 can black beans or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 spring onions, ends trimmed and roughly chopped
- 50g rolled oats
- 1/2tsp chilli powder
- 1/2tsp smoked paprika
- 1tbsp light soy sauce or tamari
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1tsp maple syrup
- 1tbsp oil for cooking
- Rocket lettuce
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 4 pitta breads
- To serve: Gourmet Burger Sauce
In a wide bowl, fully mash the black beans with a fork. Stir in the oats, garlic, spring onions, spices, soy sauce, vinegar and maple syrup. Set the mixture aside for 5 minutes so that the oats have a chance to absorb any excess moisture. Leave in the fridge for 24 hours for best results.
When ready, divide the mixture into four equal burgers, squeezing together to keep their shapes.
Heat a grilled pan over medium heat, add oil and then place burgers in. Cook until heated through, firm and browned on both sides, approximately 5 minutes on each side. Be careful when flipping to ensure they stay together.
When cooked, serve each burger within a toasted pitta bread. Add sliced red pepper, rocket lettuce and lashings of Gourmet Burger Sauce.