Imagine the perfect burger…
Lovingly made with prime beef, sizzling and juicy, fresh off the barbeque and just oozing flavour. What could possibly make it even better? The right burger sauce.
It’s what turns a good beef burger – or cheeseburger for that matter – into a great one. And not surprisingly the flavour of a classic burger sauce is actually created by combining the best single toppings to achieve just the right balance of savoury, sweet, smoky and tangy.
What is burger sauce made of?
Restaurants seem to have their own secret recipe, but the basic ingredients of a good burger sauce are usually mayonnaise (for creaminess), ketchup (for sweetness), pickle relish (for tartness), sriracha or hot sauce (for heat), and spices (for smokiness and depth). Then there are additional mix-ins that make it unique and give it extra flavour – mustard, vinegar, or garlic for instance – so it becomes ‘special’, ‘house’, or ‘secret sauce’.
What does burger sauce taste like?
Each of us has a unique set of taste buds, so the mix of salty, sweet, tangy and hot we get will depend on the amount of each individual ingredient in the sauce. You’ll get the sweetness from the relish, the tang from the ketchup, a kick from the mustard, and some smokiness from smoked paprika or chipotle powder. The mayo kind of brings it all together!
How to make burger sauce
The possibilities for making your own burger sauce are endless, but here’s a good one to try at home. Want it smooth? Use pickle juice instead of relish. Like it spicy? Add some minced pickled jalapeño or chipotle. Love mustard? Double up!
Pinch of dried minced garlic.
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp sweet pickle relish
2 tsp mustard (Dijon or yellow)
½ tsp sriracha or hot sauce (optional)
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp smoked paprika
Teaspoon white vinegar.
- Stir together the mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, mustard, sriracha, pepper, smoked paprika, and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl until combined.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve, up to 1 week.
Tip: Substitute half of the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt for a healthier alternative.
Cottage Delight’s Gourmet Burger Sauce
Save yourself the washing up and try our very own Gourmet Burger Sauce instead.A delicious blend of herbs and spices perfectly balanced with mustard, tomato, gherkin and shallots. Dollop our smooth yet tangy essential condiment onto any burger for a real flavour hit.Why not give it a go with our delicious classic burger recipe?
Cottage Delight’s Classic Beef Burger recipe
Prep time 20 mins / Cooking time 20 mins / serves 4
The classic burger recipe is an all-time BBQ favourite! This super easy recipe is always a crowd-pleaser.
½ tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
500g beef steak mince
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
1 egg, beaten
4 slices mature cheddar (optional)
4 brioche burger baps
Shredded iceberg lettuce
Sliced beef tomato
To serve: Cottage Delight’s Gourmet Burger Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened and starting to turn golden. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the beef mince with the herbs and the egg. Season, add the onion and mix well. Using your hands, shape into four burgers.
- Cook the burgers on a preheated barbecue or grill for 5-6 minutes on each side. While the second side is cooking, lay a slice of cheese on top to melt slightly.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the cut-sides of the buns on the barbecue or grill. Fill with the lettuce, burger and tomato slices. Serve with lashings of Gourmet Burger Sauce.
Whether you’re having a BBQ with friends or just making your favourite fakeaway on a Friday night, burger sauce is the easy way to give your burger an instant hit of flavour. Prefer a hot dog? Our Gourmet Hot Dog Sauce will keep your bangers banging! Also available in our Barbecue Legends gift pack. Check out the rest of our Everyday Sauces range and enjoy a range of new fantastic flavours every mealtime.
PRODUCTS USED IN THIS BLOG
Take a look at a selection of sauces
Other blogs you might like to read