1. Mix the yeast with half a teaspoon of the sugar and two tablespoons of the warm milk. Place in a warm place to rest for 15 minutes.
2. Sift the flour and stir in one tablespoon of the sugar.
3. Make a well in the flour and pour in the yeast mix, the remainder of the milk, the melted butter and the egg until it creates a dough. Knead and then cover the bowl and leave to stand for 45 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size.
4. On a floured work surface, knead the dough for five minutes, then divide into 12 balls and place in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until they have doubled in size.
5. Heat the oil in a deep pan until it reaches 190°C (our oil was around 5cm deep, different pans may vary) - hot oil can be dangerous, do not leave unattended.
6. Gently lower the dough balls into the hot oil in batches of three. Fry for 3 minutes or until golden-brown, and then carefully turn over. Remove from the hot oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
7. Roll the hot doughnuts in the remaining sugar. Make a small slit in the doughnut with the tip of a knife, and fill with a teaspoon of Zingy Raspberry Jam.
Prep time: 2 hours Cooking time: 10 minutes
View More Recipes