1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. In a pan, place 800g thinly sliced King Edward potatoes and boil for 3 minutes.
2. Remove from the pan, drain and lay on kitchen paper to dry. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over a high heat and dry-fry 100g bacon lardons until crisp. Remove and set aside to drain on kitchen paper, leaving the fat in the pan. Add 1 large sliced onion and cook gently for a few minutes until soft.
3. Stir in 2 crushed garlic cloves and cook for a couple of minutes. Lightly butter a 1 litre ovenproof dish. Crumble 150g of Stilton onto a plate.
4. Layer one-third of the potatoes on the bottom, season and top with half of the Stilton, half the onion and garlic mixture and half the lardons, then pour over a third of a pot of 200ml cream. Repeat, then finish with a layer of potatoes and the rest of the cream.
5. Bake for 50-60 minutes until the top is golden. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then
View More Recipes
serve with Classic Cheese Maker’s Pickle.