Elevate the humble pork pie to pride of place at your picnic. Partner with our luxury
Farmhouse Pickle for a savoury summer sensation.
Pork Pie Filling:
550g belly pork (rindless)
850g pork mince
110g finely chopped pancetta
1 leek (finely sliced)
1tbsp sage leaves (finely chopped)
1tbsp thyme leaves (finely chopped)
Sprinkling of salt and pepper
Hot water crust pastry:
500g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
100g strong plain flour
100g butter, cubed
125g lard, plus a little extra for greasing
265ml water 1 beaten egg
Traditional Farmhouse Pickle, to serve
1. Heat the oven to 180?C/160?C fan/gas 4. Lightly grease a 22cm loose-bottomed cake tin, or spring-form tin with a little lard.
2. For the pie filling, finely dice the belly pork into cubes and place in a large mixing bowl with the mince. Add the remaining filling ingredients and mix together.
3. For the hot water crust pastry, place the flours and salt into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until no large lumps remain. Place the lard and water into a saucepan and cook over a low heat until the lard has melted. Pour into the flour mix and bring the mixture together to form a ball. Turn out on to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
4. Place two thirds of the pastry into the base of the tin and, with your fingers, work the pastry out to the edges and up the sides, leaving a 1cm overhang of pastry around the top of the tin. Use the remaining third for the lid and decorations.
5. Add the pork filling into the tin and spread evenly into the edges. Brush the pastry edge with a little beaten egg.
6. On a floured surface, roll out the remaining pastry to a circle wide enough to cover the pie. Lay the pastry over the top. Trim off any excess pastry and crimp the edges with a fork.
7. Brush the top with beaten egg and decorate with any leftover pastry. Make a hole in the centre. Place on a baking tray and bake for 1 hour 45 minutes. Allow to completely cool and serve with Traditional Farmhouse Pickle.
Serves: 12 Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
View More Recipes