- This easy to bake tart is a fruity cross between a Simnel Cake and a Bakewell Tart. Perfect with a refreshing cup of tea.
- 375g pack shortcrust pastry (We used ready to roll)
- 140g softened butter
- 140g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 75g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 85g ground almonds
- 200g mixed dried fruit
- Zest & juice of ½ an orange
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 7 tbsp Morello Cherry Whole Fruit Jam
- 200g marzipan, ½ cut into small cubes plus 100g marzipan rolled into 11 balls (to represent the apostles)
- 50g icing sugar, to decorate
- 30g flaked toasted almonds
Line a 20 x 30cm rectangular baking tray. On a floured work surface, thinly roll out the pastry and place onto the baking tray. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Heat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and fill with baking beans. Blind-bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove the beans and leave to cool.
In a mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and caster sugar until creamy. Slowly mix in the eggs, stir in the flour, almonds, dried fruit, 2 tbsp of the Morello Cherry Whole Fruit Jam, orange zest and juice, and the spices. Finally gently mix in the small cubes of marzipan.
Spread the remaining Morello Cherry Whole Fruit Jam over the base of the pastry when it’s cooled.
Pour the mixture over pastry base and smooth over with a spatula. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until golden and risen. Pop in the 11 marzipan balls into the soft sponge and leave to cool in the tin.
To brown the tops of the marzipan balls, heat under the grill on medium. For 1-2 minutes, but make sure you keep an eye on them, as they will burn easily.
To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with a small amount of water to make a smooth runny icing. Drizzle the icing over the tart, top with the toasted flaked almonds.
Cut into squares and serve.