- Prep time
- 10 minutes
- Cooking time
- 70 minutes
- Serves 6
- Translation meaning "hunter-style", cacciatore is traditionally made with onions, herbs, bell peppers, wine and lots of tomatoes!
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs/chicken breasts
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 300g mushrooms, sliced
- 100g pitted black olives
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 2tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 2tbsp basil
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 150ml red wine
- 600g crushed tomatoes
- 1 jar Cottage Delight Smoky Tomato & Garlic Sauce
- 200g Roma tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Cottage Delight Roast Red Pepper sauce (optional)
Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas Mark 5.
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat 2tbsp olive oil in heavy cast iron skillet/casserole dish.
Sear the chicken on both sides until golden, about 5-6 minutes each side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Add the remaining oil to the skillet and sauté the onions until transparent; about 3 – 4 minutes.
Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the peppers, carrots, mushrooms and herbs; cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
Pour in the wine. Cook until the wine is reduced, about 2 minutes.
Add the crushed tomatoes, Smoky Tomato & Garlic Sauce, Roma tomatoes, and Roast Red Pepper Sauce if you like. Season with salt and pepper. Return your pieces of chicken to the skillet.
Transfer the covered skillet to the oven and cook for 50 minutes.
Remove the lid, add in the olives and cook for an additional 20 minutes until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone and the sauce has reduced.
Serve with pasta or rice and enjoy!