1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Place the beef on a lined baking tray, brush over the olive oil and season. Place into the oven for 20 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool, brush all over with mustard and place into the fridge for 20 minutes.
2. Roll out 60cm cling film onto a work surface, double layering. Lay the ham length ways onto the cling film, overlapping each slice slightly to create a double row. Thinly spread the pâté over the ham.
3. Place the beef at one end of the ham, using the cling film, draw the ham up and onto the beef fillet and roll tightly. Then, place the ham wrapped beef, with the cling film still on, into the fridge.
4. Dust a work surface with flour. Roll out a third of the pastry into a rectangle about 18 x 30cm, and place onto a baking sheet lined with paper, this is the base. Roll out the remainder of the pastry to a rectangle about 30 x 35cm. Remove the beef from the cling film and place it on the centre of the pastry
base. Brush the edges with beaten eggs.
5. Lift the second piece of pastry and place on top of the beef. Pressing the pastry over the sides. Trim the pastry joins to about 4cm and seal the edges with the back of a fork. Brush all over with the remaining beaten eggs. Use a knife and carefully make diagonal slits into the pastry, ensuring not to cut through. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Cook for 20-25 minutes for medium rare or 30 minutes for medium. The pastry should be golden and crisp. Allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Serves: 6-8 people
Preparation time: 1 hour and 35 minutes (including chill time)
View More Recipes
Cooking time: 45 minutes